If you run a small business and your digital marketing or website need a boost, we’d strongly recommend you apply for the Queensland Government small business digital grants program.
The initiative from the Department of Employment, Small Business and Training aims to help the state’s businesses thrive by enhancing their online opportunities and capabilities.
And while the next round of funding isn’t open yet, it’s definitely worth starting to think about your application, what types of services would benefit your business and even reaching out to a potential supplier (like us!) about how you can make the most of the matched funding available.
Small Business Digital Grants 2020 – Round 8
Businesses which are successful for the grant can receive matched funding from $1,000 up to $10,000.
That gives you the ability to complete projects ranging from $2,000 to $20,000.
If successful, you will be required to pay for the services in full and then at the completion of the 3-month project window, you’ll get refunded 50% (excluding GST).
That means if you successfully apply for $8,000 – you would get back $4,000 through the program. Not a bad way to bolster your digital marketing efforts especially during these challenging times.
Funding can be used for:
- Services such as digital coaching or advice
- Purchasing specialised equipment, including hardware or software
- Increasing capacity for digital operations, such as employing more staff
5 Things You Could Achieve with this Digital Grant
- Upgrade or completely revamp your website. Update the look and feel of your website with a new theme, refreshed (and SEO friendly) website copy, or create an online/ecommerce store.
- Launch a blog. One of the most effective ways to increase your organic Google rankings is to blog regularly. But most business owners struggle with knowing what content they should be publishing (and then actually finding the time to sit down and write it!). If SEO has been on your radar but you haven’t been sure to tackle it, talk to us!
- Move to Cloud Software Package such as Microsoft Office 365. Improve your digital capabilities with stress-free email syncing across multiple devices thanks to 365. It’s a gamechanger, and even more so with most of us #workingfromhome!
- Light up your social media channels with a new aesthetic – and the confidence to navigate your way around Insta, Facebook and more.
- Kickstart a paid digital campaign. While the advertising costs of the actual campaign cannot be covered by this digital grant, the strategic direction and set up costs can be.
The opening date for the next round of the program is expected to be mid 2020, and possibly as early as May to coincide with Small Business month.
If you are interested, shoot us a quick message here and we can start workshopping the best approach for your application (and alert you when submissions are open).
Is Your Small Business Eligible for a Digital Funding Grant?
There are a range of criteria small businesses must meet.
- Their headquarters must be in Queensland
- They must have less than 20 employees when they apply for the grant
- The business cannot be insolvent or have a director/owner who is an undischarged bankrupt
- They must be registered for GST and have an ABN
- In the last financial year their turnover must be $2million or less
- Once approved, the business must be able to pay up front for the approved services or products
To be eligible, business must also be able to show how they can use the money to enhance their digital capabilities, and prove it would help them employ more people.
This last point is crucial – and one that will really help increase your chances of being successful securing the grant!
And no, unfortunately anyone who has already received this funding in the past cannot apply again.
Queensland Government Small Businesses Digital Grants
Now more than ever, the ability to tap into funding to bolster your digital marketing efforts could be a total gamechanger.
If COVID-19 has taught us anything (even in these early stages) is that we’re capable of adapting and pivoting our businesses more than we give ourselves credit for.
So, what’s the one ‘digital’ thing for your business that’s been bubbling away overlooked on your to do list?
Let us know, and we’ll give you our honest opinion as to whether you should give the small business digital grant a crack (the answer will probably be yes!)
Brisbane Digital Co is your go-to for honest marketing advice to help you navigate this new era.
Backed by 20 years in business with local in-house tech, marketing and graphic designers, talk to us about all your website, SEO, social media, email marketing and graphic design needs.